Friday, July 6, 2012

mazatlan...pphhhffttt.

only 3 days here and i bought a bus ticket out.  so this update is for the 2 people who told me not to come here, but i did anyway :)

let's go back to my arrival first.  i was looking for a taxi and was told that there were none, if i didn't already have transportation i had to go with these people and sign up for a timeshare presentation.  that sucked, what a scam.  they really did have a monopoly on the taxis, there weren't any.  so i sign up and still have to pay an outrageous amount for the taxi, which they said i'd be reimbursed for at the tour, and also i'd get gifts and such, like a boat ride.  i get in the taxi for the 20 minute trip and the guy takes me all the way to the opposite side of town, then turns around and drives back, taking over an hour.  i was pretty ticked off.

my first day here was pretty good, except the water is so brown that i couldn't see past my fingertips while swimming, kinda scary.  every time i'd swim at waiohai i'd make keith turn around if i couldn't see at least 20 feet so you can imagine how freaked out i was.  fish would jump next to me, and these gigantic birds swoop down and dive, even more freaky.  yesterday i was swimming and a bait ball comes straight at me, a huge school jumping in and out of the water, i'm out by myself, and what the hell is chasing them?!  they went right around/through me and i don't think i've ever swum faster in my life to get to shore.

so i'm walking up the beach to get my towel and a man approaches with a tupperware of water and a big blue jellyfish.  i'd noticed a couple on the beach earlier.  he tells me that the full moon and high tide and a storm in the south means there will be lots of jellyfish in the water and i shouldn't swim for the next few days.  great.  not like i'd be able to see them anyway, i'd just get wrapped up in the 3 foot long tentacle.  ok, no swimming.

this morning is my timeshare appointment, and i decide to go because they're going to pick me up and take me to the far end of mazatlan, which i haven't been to yet.  i get there and the woman sits me down by myself for breakfast, and tells me that i need to lie about what hotel i'm staying at or she won't get her credit.  fine, whatever.  about 20 minutes later a man takes me to the presentation room to ask me a few questions before the tour.  this was a nice looking place, definitely not anywhere i'd stay, and certainly wouldn't consider buying (el cid, btw, don't stay there).  so he thinks i have a bad attitude when i explain that i was hijacked at the airport and tells me that he's not going to do the tour and i can pay for breakfast and leave.  ha.  whatever.  i end up going to the sales desk and telling them i was done and please give me my free gifts, and i get a boat trip, fully paid, and all my taxi money back.

i catch a taxi to get out of the marina and walk the rest of the way home.  so now i've seen all of mazatlan, i have no desire to go on the hotel's boat ride, and have a bus ticket for midnite tonite.  i doubt i can get my money back for the nites i prepaid, but i really don't care.  i can't swim, and i checked the surf at every beach along the way, 2 foot closeouts at best, there's no point in staying here.  i don't have a room booked anywhere yet for tomorrow but i'll worry about that when i get where i'm going.

i haven't quite gotten the hang of this travel thing yet.  i'm not entirely certain of what i need to do to learn but this is still pretty new and i'm telling myself that i shouldn't worry yet.  if in another month i keep picking crappy places then i'm just gonna fly to fiji and live there till my money runs out.


2for1 beer.  the only good thing about this place.



No comments:

Post a Comment