Wednesday, October 10, 2012

tegucigalpa airport

the last thing john said to me yesterday before he left was 'you're flying into the second most dangerous airport in the world'.  

i immediately envisioned an airport full of pickpockets and muggers.  but no, he's talking about safety record.  second most dangerous in the world.  why would you tell someone that the day before they have to fly there?  

i get to the roatan airport (slightly bigger than the molokai airport) and see my plane, it has about 30 seats, not too big, not too small.  there are 8 passengers.  ok no problem.  i'll get my drink fast.  

there's a bit of a storm today so the first bit of jiggling caught me off guard (i was eating my small airplane lunch, yes, they still serve free meals on central american flights), but the next 10 minutes of turbulence actually made me stop eating.  and that's when i remembered what john said.  now i have half an hour to envision all of the ways that this plane can break into pieces and catch on fire.  i make sure all of my electronics are turned off for once.  

the pilot tells us to stash our stuff for landing and i almost need a barf bag.  seriously, why would you say something like that to someone?

needless to say, all went well.  until a man came running across the tarmac yelling at me, oh shit what did i put in my checked luggage?  but he came to direct me to a different entrance since i have a connecting flight.  

ok.  totally pleasant, all is well.  lots of pointless worrying.  next stop, el salvador.  if i'm only landing at the airport and leaving in a few hours can i count it as a place i've been to?  should i run outside just to pay $30 and get my passport stamped?  


No comments:

Post a Comment