Tuesday, September 4, 2012

so gross

i swallowed a spider in my sleep last nite.

the best thing i can say about this is that i hope it was a spider.

it musta been kinda big since it woke me up.  it was about 2am, i woke up coughing and swallowed whatever was in my throat.  i can't stop thinking about how gross this is.  i know that alot goes on while we sleep (i've seen toy story) but i try not to think of these things, 6-8 hours is a long time to be unconscious.  but thinking about something crawling on me, maybe it found my arm and worked its way up, or my hair, or webbed directly onto my face, that's the thing, it was on my face.  ugh.  then in my mouth.  i've been having a hard time thinking about anything else today.

even when i was thinking about the family of 17 that was at the hostel last nite.  17.  15 kids.  i'm absolutely astounded by this.  why is there a need to have 15 children?  are we homesteading in the wild west?  does our populations survival depend upon having as many offspring as possible?  i'm slightly morally outraged by this.  these people are missionaries from the us, living in guatemala to teach the local people how to more efficiently use their resources while they themselves are blazing through like a swarm of ginger locusts.

what actually set off my anger was seeing the father sitting on the lanai drinking coffee all morning, lounging on a couch.  and what's his wife doing?  running from dorm to dorm getting all of the kids ready for the day.

as angry as that made me i still can't stop thinking about the spider.

molly told me that she remembers a 'ripley's' fact from when she was younger that said the average american swallows 3 spiders per year in their sleep.  i'm ok with that, as long as they don't wake me up.

i'm in antigua, guatemala now, arrived about 3 hours ago.  it seems like a nice place, kind of like san miguel de allende in mexico, maybe more touristy.  i couldn't find a grocery store but i found 12 travel agencies.  and not alot of local food, most of the restaurants were pretty pricey, so i'll have to do more investigation.  i only walked enough to feed myself and find an atm since my legs are still screaming from the volcano hike yesterday.  tomorrow i'll find the spanish school and lavanderia.  and a good bar.

spider.  

a volcano nearby erupted yesterday and if the clouds clear up i should be able to see the lava flowing.  so far there's been hurricane ernesto, an earthquake and a volcano eruption where i've been, i'm not going to take it personally, though.

a google search tells me that its almost impossible to swallow a spider while you're sleeping, and that the stories are urban myth.  the part i can't believe is that they say that spiders view us as giant predators and they don't want to come near us.  i can't count the number of times a random spider has webbed onto me unprovoked.  and how can anyone prove that the myth is a only myth?

i actually got on my computer to start looking up my next destination so i guess i should get on that.


hasta luego, ladies


No comments:

Post a Comment