Sunday, June 3, 2012

hola amigos

mexico!  i wasn't really sure i'd make it but here i am!  got a bit worried when i couldn't even find my flight out of lihue, which should be the easiest airport in the world.  but honolulu and houston later, i'm an expert.
i flew into leon, first sight is armed men lounging on the runway, always makes me feel safe.   customs was no problem, except they aren't fond of purple ink and made me go to the back of the line to fill out all of my forms again.  found my bag and the cute little man holding the sign with my name on it.  easy.  
san miguel de allende is about an hour and a half from the leon airport, and it was a crazy trip.  the car was new and clean, my man was dressed how you'd imagine a hired car driver dressed, and we flew across country.  one lane highway (just like home except skinnier) and apparently optional traffic rules...it was great.  the only time we slowed down was for cows in the road.
the school is in the heart of san miguel, on the main street (thank god).  all roads lead back, which is exactly what i need.  even so, every time i leave my school teacher says bueno suerte, it's like she knows me already.  managed to find an atm, a cafe for lunch, and a crappy market.  
lunch was great, all the spanish from mariachis came in handy.  una cerveza, por favor.  enchiladas con pollo, por favor.  uno mas cerveza, por favor.  already a local.

so yeah, pretty boring stuff but it doesn't seem boring in spanish.  finding useable currency and feeding myself...i'm quite proud of today's accomplishments.


not gonna starve here





3 comments:

  1. I am beginning to think that this is going to be a comedy blog! Nicely done. Glad to know you have arrived safe and sound in San Miguel. Can't wait to hear more stories from the road. Miss you already.

    Love, Shanti and the Boys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it would be closer to a comedy blog if you could have seen me figure out that the 'c' in my shower doesn't stand for 'cold'.
      duh.

      Delete
    2. HA! I just spit all over my office! Lucky it was water and not coffee. 'c' is for caldo in Italian too, so I can relate!

      Delete